Adopt A heritage Scheme India – Features,Details,Monuments UPSC,PIB,
Adopt A heritage Scheme India – Features,Details,Monuments UPSC,PIB, -Various Heritage sites are to be adopted by a Monument Mitras under Adopt a Heritage scheme.
What is Adopt a Heritage scheme?
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Tourism, in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture and the
Archaeological Survey of India.
- Under the scheme government invites entities, including public sector companies, private sector firms as well
as individuals, to develop selected monuments and heritage and tourist sites across India.
- Development of these tourist sites calls for providing and maintaining basic amenities, including drinking
water, ease of access for the differently abled and senior citizens, standardised signage, cleanliness, public
How the scheme works?
- The sites/monument for this scheme will be selected on the basis of tourist footfall and visibility and can be
adopted by private and public sector companies and individuals known as Monument Mitras for an initial
period of five years.
- The Monument Mitras are selected by the ‗oversight and vision committee,‘ co-chaired by the Tourism
Secretary and the Culture Secretary.
- There is no financial bid involved and the corporate sector is expected to use corporate social responsibility
(CSR) funds for the upkeep of the site.
- The Monument Mitras, in turn, will get limited visibility on the site premises and on the Incredible India
- The oversight committee also has the power to terminate a memorandum of understanding in case of noncompliance
Who is eligible for adopting a heritage site / monument under the project?
- Private and Public Sector Companies and Individuals are eligible for adopting a heritage site / monument under this project.
What are the objectives of the project?
- Develop basic tourism infrastructure at identified monuments/heritage sites.
- Inclusive tourist experience for heritage sites.
- Promote cultural and heritage value of the country to generate livelihoods of local
communities of respective heritage sites.
- Enhance the tourist attractiveness in a sustainable manner by developing world class
infrastructure at heritage sites.
- Create employment through active involvement of local communities.
- Harness tourism potential for its multiplier effects in employment generation and
- Develop sustainable tourism infrastructure and ensuring proper Operations and