Citizen Charter In India -Meaning,Components,Issues,Guidelines – Hello friends Welcome to studydhaba.com . here We are sharing Citizen Charter In india . This is an Important topic for IAS Exam.
In This Post We Will Discuss Following Points About Citizen Charter
- What is meant by Citizen Charter?
- What are the components of Citizen Charter?
- What are the guidelines to be followed while developing a Citizen Charter?
- What are the issues with Citizen Charter?
- What is the way forward?
What is meant by Citizen Charter?
- Citizen’s Charter is a document which represents a systematic effort to focus on the commitment of the
Organization towards its Citizens in respects of Standard of Services, Information, Choice and Consultation,
Non-discrimination and Accessibility, Grievance Redress, Courtesy and Value for Money.
- This also includes expectations of the Organization from the Citizen for fulfilling the commitment of the
What are the components of Citizen Charter?
A good Citizen’s Charter should have the following components :-
- Vision and Mission Statement of the Organization
- Details of Business transacted by the Organization
- Details of ‘Citizens’ or ‘Clients’
- Statement of services including standards, quality, time frame etc. provided to each Citizen/ Client group
separately and how/ where to get the services
- Details of Grievance Redress Mechanism and how to access it
- Expectations from the ‘Citizens’ or ‘Clients’
- Additional commitments such as compensation in the event of failure of service delivery
What are the guidelines to be followed while developing a Citizen Charter?
DPARG lists out the guidelines for the effective Citizen Charter formulation as follows :
- Setting up of a Task Force in the Organization to formulate the Citizen’s Charter
- Identification of all stakeholders in the Organization and major services provided by Organization;
- Setting up of a Core Group in the Organization consisting of representatives from all stakeholders
which inter-alia may include Top Management, Middle Management, cutting-edge level, staff
representatives, strategic partners, Customers/ Clients etc
- Consultation with Clients/ Stakeholders/ Staff (Primarily at cutting-edge level) and their representative associations;
- Preparation of Draft Citizen’s Charter
- Submission of draft Charter to Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances
- Consideration of the Charter by Core Group
- Modification of Charter by the Ministry/ Department n the basis of suggestions/ observations by the Core
- Approval by Minister-in-charge
- Formal issue/ release of Charter and putting up on website
- Sending copies to People’s Representatives and all stakeholders
What are the issues with Citizen Charter?
- In majority of cases Charters were not formulated through a consultative process.
- By and large service providers are not familiar with the philosophy, goals and main features of the Charter.
- In none of the departments evaluated, had adequate publicity been given to the Charters. In most Departments, the Charters were only in the early stages of implementation.
- No funds were specifically earmarked for awareness generation on Citizen’s Charter or for orientation of the staff on various components of the Charter.
What is the way forward?
- The need for citizens and staff to be consulted at every stage of formulation of the Charter.
- Orientation of staff about the salient features and goals/objectives of the Charter; vision and mission statement of the department; and skills such as team building, problem solving, handling of grievances and
- The need for creation of database on consumer grievances and redress.
- The need for wider publicity of the Charter through print media, posters, banners, leaflets, handbills,
brochures, local newspapers etc. and also through electronic media.
- Earmarking of specific budgets for awareness generation and orientation of staff, and
- Replication of best practices in this field.
|Important Links For Study Material And Test Series|
|Follow Us On Facebook – Facebook Page|
|The Hindu Daily News Paper Important Articles Pdf|
|Join StudyDhaba.Com Telegram Channel – t.me/studydhaba|
|Latest Current Affairs Magazine 2019 Pdf|
|UPSC Prelims ,Mains ,Optional Study Materials|
|UPSC Prelims Test Series 2020 Pdf|
|UPSC Mains Test Series 2019-2020|
|UPSC Optional Test Series 2019-2020|
|SSC Study Materials 2019-2020 Pdf|
|IBPS Study Material 2019-2020 Pdf|
|Insurance Exams Free Study Materials Pdf 2019|
|NEET Exam Free Study Material Pdf|
|Latest RRB Study Material Pdf|
|Teaching Exams Study Material Pdf|
|EContact US – [email protected] / [email protected]|
|Note & Disclaimer – All Study Materials Here are shared Only For Educational Purposes .Most of The Material Is Already Available On Internet .We Are Just Sharing That Link Only . Whole Materials Is For Education Purpose Only .We Work hard to Provide You Quality Study Materials And Error Free Study Materials For All Competitive Exams .You can Also Share Study Materials,Notes Or Any Materials With Us .We Will Publish That Material On Our Website .It is a Humble Request To All Of You Please Share This Post With Your Friends And On Social Media .|