COMPUTER SOFTWARE AND OPERATING SYSTEM – COMPUTER SOFTWARE AND OPERATING SYSTEM
COMPUTER SOFTWARE AND OPERATING SYSTEM
Software is a set of instructions that guides computer to process its job. Computer software cannot be touched. The functions like controlling the hardware, performing computations, human interactions etc, are performed by computer software.
Types of software:
A. System Software
B. Application software
C. Utilities Software
- System software is a collection of programs designed to operate, control and extend the processing capabilities of the computer itself. Operating System, Compiler, and Interpreter etc are the examples of system software.
- Application software is a setoff programs designed for a particular application.
Examples of Application software are: Microsoft word, Microsoft Excel, Railway reservation software.
- This software is requested by other application programs. Example of utility software- Antivirus etc.
- Hardware is the part of the computer that can be seen and felt by touching. The other computer equipments are called peripherals. Printer, Mouse, Modems, scanners etc are the examples of hardware.
• Operating system acts as a link between the software and the computer hardware.
• It is specialised software that controls and monitors the execution of all other programs that reside in the computer, including application programs and other system software.
• Common Operating System: MS DOS, Windows XP, Windows 7, UNIX, LINUX.
Operating system can be categorised as-
• Multi-user- Allows two or more programs to run at the same time.
• Multi-tasking-Allows one or more program to run simultaneously
• Multi processing- Allows a program on more than one CPU.
• Multi threading-Allows different part of a single program to run simultaneously
• Real time processing-It responds to the input instantly. Real time processing is used to control machinery, scientific instruments and industrial systems.
Functions of Operating system:-
-Controlling and execution of programs
-Managing devices (storage and retrieval of files)
The functions involved in the management of resources are as follows-
• Process Management
• Memory Management
• Input/Output Management
• Information management
• User interface