International Relation -January 2016 Current Affairs
|India, Pakistan exchange lists of nuclear facilities|
- India and Pakistan have exchanged the list of their nuclear installations and facilities under the Agreement on the Prohibition of Attack against Nuclear installations.
- This exchange is done on 1st of January every year between the two neighbouring countries that bars them from attacking each other’s atomic facilities.
- This is the 25th consecutive exchange of nuclear facilities .
- The agreement, which was signed on December 31, 1988 and entered into force on January 27, 1991, says that the two countries inform each other of nuclear installations and facilities to be covered under the Agreement on January 1 every year.
National -January 2016 Current Affairs
|Union inks Financing Agreement with World Bank to fund education of minorities|
- The Union Government has signed a Financing Agreement of 50 million dollars with the World Bank
- This loan is Granted under Nai Manzil Scheme– Education and Skills Training for Minorities.
- Under this agreement, the credit will be facilitated by the International Development Association (IDA), World Bank’s concessionary lending arm.
- The loan carries a maturity of 25 years with including a 5-year grace period.
- The loans funds will be used to improve the employability and performance of minority youth in the labour market.
- The estimated project size is 100 million dollars. As IDA credit 50 million dollars will be available and the remaining balance funding from the Union Budget.
About Nai Manzil Scheme
- The main aim behind designing of this schema to address educational and living needs of minority communities lagging behind in terms of educational attainments.
Award -January 2016 Current Affairs
|Vocalist Sanjay Subrahmanyam conferred 2015 Sangita Kalanidhi award|
- Foremost south Indian classical vocalists Sanjay Subrahmanyam has conferred with prestigious 2015 Sangita Kalanidhi award.
- The prestigious award was bestowed upon him by renowned mathematician Manjul Bhargava at 89th annual conference of the Madras Music Academy in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- With this, he became seventh artistes to be conferred with this award before completing 50 years of age.
About Sanjay Subrahmanyan:
- He was born on January 21, 1968 in Chennai
- He has been the subject to a documentary film on his life, titled ‘Aaraar aasaip padaar’
- He is an ‘A Top’ Grade artist in All India Radio (AIR)
- He was a Chartered Accountant (CA) by training and also a rank holding Cost Accountant
- He was given the Sangita Kalanidhi award on January 1, 2016 during the conference at The Music Academy, held from December 15, 2015 till January 1, 2016.
About the award:
- The Sangita Kalanidhi is the highest honour given to Carnatic musicians in India
- The award was initially not named Sangita Kalanidhi, it was given the name only in 1942
- The first recipients of the award were T.V. Subba Rao, Vidvan T.S. Sabhesa Iyer, and M.S. Ramaswamy Iyer. They were awarded in the year 1929
National -January 2016 Current Affairs
|DBT scheme for Kerosene Oil from 1st April 2016|
- The Union Government is going to roll out LPG-like Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) scheme for kerosene from 1st April 2016.
- The scheme in the initial phase will be implemented in selected 26 districts of eight states.
- These states are Haryana, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab and Rajasthan.
- To encourage more states to join the scheme, the central government will give a cash incentive of 75% of the subsidy savings to states during the first two years, 50% in the third year and 25% in the fourth year.
Person in News January 2016
|Veteran CPI leader AB Bardhan passes away|
- Veteran Communist Party of India (CPI) leader Ardhendu Bhushan Bardhan passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- He was 92.
- He has been a leading figure of the trade union movement and left politics in India and had played a key role in maintaining the space for Communists in national politics.
- He had taken part in the freedom movement as a member of the All India Students Federation (AISF).
- Later associated himself with the trade union movement by becoming general secretary of the All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC). He had won as an independent candidate in Maharashtra assembly polls in 1957.
- He was CPI’s general secretary for 16 years from 1996.
- He had steered the CPI during the turbulent period of coalition politics at national level in the 1990s.
|NABARD inks MoU with NRSC for monitoring Watershed Projects|
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Hyderabad-based National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC) for web-based monitoring of watershed projects.
- Under this MoU Web-based monitoring will be undertaken for India-German Watershed Development (IGWDP) projects in three states viz. Rajasthan, Gujarat and Telangana.
Person In news January 2016
|Amputee mountaineer Arunima Sinha scales Mount Aconcagua in Argentina|
- India’s star amputee mountaineer Arunima Sinha has successfully scaled Mount Aconcagua in Argentina as part of her Mission 7 Summits.
- It was her 5th successful summit of the Mission 7 Summits that she had climbed on December 25, 2016 after starting on December 12, 2015.
- With this, she created World record by becoming First Female amputee to climb 5 Mountains of the World.
- These are Mt. Everest (Asia), Mt. Kilimanjaro (Africa), Mt. Elbrus (Europe), Mt.Kosizko (Australia) and Mt. Aconcagua (Argentina).
- Arunima “Sonu” Sinha (born 1988) is the first female amputee to climb Mount Everest.
- She is also the first Indian amputee to climb Mount Everest.
- She was a national level volleyball player who was pushed out of a running train by thieves in 2011 while resisting them.
- One of her legs had to be amputated below the knee as a result.
Sports Current January 2016
|India won 2015 SAFF football championships|
- India has won the 2015 South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) championship for record seventh time.
- In the final match played at Thiruvanantapuram (Kerala), India defeated defending champion Afghanistan by 2-1 goal score.
- Jeje Lalpekhlua (72nd minute) and Sunil Chhetri (101th) had scored goals for India.
Polity Current Affairs January 2016
|President Pranab Mukherjee gives assent to 5 key bills|| The President of India Pranab Mukherjee gave assent to five key bills which had been passed by the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha on December 31, 2015|
The List of The Bills are Following
- Atomic Energy Amendment Act 2015
- Arbitration and Conciliation Amendment Act 2015
- Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention against Atrocities) Amendment Act 2015
- Commercial courts, commercial division and commercial appellate Divisions of High Courts Act 2015
- Payment of Bonus Amendment Act 2015
States Current Affairs 2016
|Telangana government launches e-Vahan Bima Scheme|
- Telangana Government has launched e-Vahan Bima Scheme to issue motor insurance policy in digital form.
- With this, Telangana became the first state in the country to legally accept motor vehicle insurance policy in digital form.
About e-Vahan Bima Scheme
- As per the e-Bima scheme, an electronic motor insurance policy is issued in digital form with Quick Response (QR) code.
- The Quick Response code will be used to scan for verification of policy details.
- An SMS-based verification was also installed.
- The digital insurance can be accessed on a smart phone or other compatible device like a tablet to make the process of verification easier for commuters as well as police.
States Current Affairs 2016
|Compulsory Gender Education in telangana|
- Telangana has become the first State in the country to introduce compulsory gender education at the graduate level.
- In this regard, state government has introduced bilingual textbook titled ‘Towards a World of Equals’ on a pilot basis in engineering colleges.
- These engineering colleges are affiliated to the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU-Hyderabad).
|4th January: World Braille Day|
- Every year World Braille Day is being observed across the world on 4 January to mark the birth anniversary of Louis Braille, inventor of Braille script or Braille code.
Person In News Current Affairs 2016
|RK Mathur sworn in as 8th Chief Information Commissioner|
- Former Defence Secretary Radha Krishna Mathur (62) has sworn in as the eight Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) of the Central Information Commission.
- He was administered the oath of office by the President Pranab Mukherjee at a ceremony held in Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
- Mr. Mathur as the CIC will have tenure of about three years till he attains the age of 65 years.
- At present, there are seven Information Commissioners — Basant Seth, Yashovardhan Azad, Sharat Sabharwal, Manjula Prasher, MA Khan Yusufi, Madabhushanam Sridhar Acharyulu and Sudhir Bhargava.
- The Commission is made up of one chief and 10 Information Commissioners.
- The posts of three Information Commissioners are still vacant.
Person In News Current Affairs 2016
| Abid Ali Neemuchwala appointed as CEO of Wipro|
- India’s third largest IT exporter Wipro Limited has appointed Abid Ali Z. Neemuchwala as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Member of the Board of the company.
- He will succeed incumbent CEO T.K. Kurien who has been elevated as the Executive Vice Chairman of the company.
Committee Current Affairs 2016
|Recommendations of Justice Lodha Committee on BCCI reforms|
- Justice RM Lodha Committee has submitted its report to the Supreme Court suggesting reforms in the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
- The committee was appointed by the SC in 2014 to make recommendations to the BCCI in order to prevent frauds and conflict of interest in cricket administration.
I will Cover This Committee In full Detail In Separate Post
International Current 2016
|India-Nepal friendship bus service resumes after gap of 27 years|
- A friendship bus service between India and Nepal was flagged off via Champawat district in Uttarakhand after a gap of 27 years.
- The resumed bus service has been regularised and will run between Kanchanpur in Nepal close to the Banbasa border in Champawat district and Anand Vihar in New Delhi.
Banking Current Affairs 2016
|1 crore fine On State Bank of Travancore|
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a monetary penalty of one crore rupees on State Bank of Travancore, an SBI associate bank for violation of some of its instructions.
- The monetary penalty was imposed on State Bank of Travancore for violation of its instructions including reporting of data to Central Repository of Information on Large Credits (CRILC).
Central Repository of Information on Large Credits (CRILC)
- It has been established by RBI to collect, store, and disseminate data on all borrowers’ credit exposures.
- It is mandatory for banks to report all such information under it including classification of an account as Special Mention Accounts (SMA) on all borrowers having aggregate fund-based and non-fund-based exposure of 5 crore rupees and above.
Person In News
| Former CJI SH Kapadia passes away|
- Former Chief Justice of India (CJI) Sarosh Homi Kapadia passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- He was 68.
- Justice Kapadia started his career as a Class IV employee. He later joined Gagrat & Co, a law firm, as a clerk and went on to work with Feroze Damania, a popular ‘firebrand’ labour lawyer. He became an advocate in the Bombay High Court on September 10, 1974.
- Justice Kapadia was appointed as additional judge of the Bombay High Court on October 8, 1991, and on March 23, 1993, he was appointed a permanent judge.
- On August 5, 2003, he became the Chief Justice of the Uttarakhand High Court. On December 18, 2003 he was appointed a judge of the Supreme Court.
- In May 12, 2010, he was sworn in as the 38th Chief Justice of India and served at the top post till retirement on September 29, 2012.
Sports Current 2016
| Syed Kirmani conferred with 2015 Col CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award|
- Former Cricketer Syed Kirmani was honoured with the Col CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award in Mumbai (Maharashtra) for his contribution to Indian cricket.
- He was presented with the award by the President of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) Shashank Manohar at the BCCI’s annual award function held in Mumbai.
Defence Current 2016
|Union Government reserves 33% posts of women constables in CAPFs|
- The Union Government has reserved 33 per cent posts of Constables for women in Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) to enhance their representation.
- The proposal in this regard was approved by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and shall come into effect with immediate effect.
- To begin with, 33 per cent of posts of Constables will be reserved for women in Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).
- While, 14-15 per cent posts in the Border Security Force (BSF), Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) and Indo Tibetan Border Police Force (ITBP) will be reserved for women.
|Stan Wawrinka wins 2016 Chennai Open title|
- Stanislas Wawrinka from Switzerland has won the 2016 Chennai Open title of tennis.
- In the summit clash at Nungambakkam tennis stadium in Chennai, he defeated the Aljaz Bedene from Slovenia by 6-3, 6-4 score.
- This was his third consecutive ATP Chennai Open title for Wawrinka (won in 2014, 2015 and 2016)
- He Is Currently World No 4 In Ranking
Science And tech 2016
|103rd Indian Science Congress|
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 103rd edition of the Indian Science Congress (ISC) on January 3, 2015
- Location – Mysuru, Karnataka.
- The theme of this edition of the Congress is “Science and Technology for Indigenous Development in India.
- During the inaugural speech Prime Minister gave a new mantra comprising five Es – “Economy, Environment, Energy, Empathy and Equity”.
- Pranav Dhanawade hits world record by scoring 1009 runs at school level tournament
- 15-year-old cricketer Pranav Dhanawade created a world record by scoring 1009 runs (not out) in HT Bhandari Cup, an under-16 inter-school tournament held in Mumbai (Maharashtra).
- With this, he also has broken a century-old cricketing record becoming the first batsman to score 1000-plus runs in an innings in any form of cricket.
| Jharkhand first state to sign MoU with Centre for power scheme UDAY|
- Jharkhand, a mineral-rich but energy-deficit state has become first state in country to sign Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojana (UDAY) scheme with Union Government.
- In this regard a tripartite MoU was signed between the state government, Union Ministry of Power and state power distributor Jharkhand Bijli Vitaran Nigam Ltd (JBVNL)
|Sri Lanka, Pakistan agree to expand FTA|
- Sri Lanka and Pakistan have agreed to expand their bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) by inclusion of services and investment.
- Statement in this regard was made by Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif during his official visit to Sri Lanka.
|Andhra Bank launches IMPS for money transfer|
- Andhra Bank has launched Immediate Payment Service (IMPS) at all its branches across the country to provide inter-bank electronic fund transfer service.
- The customer-friendly service was launched by Andhra Bank in association with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- It also supports real time instant fund transfer system for inter-bank remittances.
|Union Government launches Ganga Gram Yojana |
- The Union Government has launched Ganga Gram Yojana to develop 1600 villages in Uttar Pradesh (UP) situated along the banks of Ganga River.
- The scheme was launched by the Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti at Puth village in Hapur district of UP.
|Filippo Grandi takes charge as UN High Commissioner for Refugees|
- Filippo Grandi takes charge as UN High Commissioner for Refugees
- Senior United Nations (UN) official Filippo Grandi from Italy has taken the charge as new UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
- He succeeds Antonio Guterres of Portugal who has retired after heading the Refugee Agency for one decade.
- He will have tenure of five years.