Download UPSC Mains 2015 Anthropology Questions Paper 1 & 2 – Download UPSC Mains 2015 Anthropology Questions Paper 1 & 2
Anthropology Optional Paper Instructions
- Time Allowed: Three Hours Maximum Marks: 250
- There are EIGHT questions divided in TWO SECTIONS and printed both in HINDI arid in ENGLISH.
- Candidate has to attempt FIVE questions in all.
- Questions no. 1 and 5 are compulsory and out of the remitting, any THREE are to be attempted choosing at least ONE from each section.
- The number of marks carried by a question part is indicated against it.
- Answers must be written in the medium authorized in the Admission Certificate which must be stated clearly WI the Miler of this Question-cum-Answer-QC., Booklet in the space provided. No marks will be given for answers written in a medium other than the authorized one. Word limit in questions, wherever specified, should be adhered to
- Attempts of questions shall be counted in sequential order. Unless struck off, attempt of a question shall be counted even if attempted partly. Any page or portion of the page left blank in the Question-cum-Answer Booklet must be clearly struck off
Paper-1: SECTION-A -Download UPSC Mains 2015 Anthropology Questions Paper 1
Q1. Write notes on the following in about 150 words each:— 10 x 5 = 50 marks.
- Archaeological Anthropology.
- Society and Culture.
- Incest Taboos.
- Historical Particularism.
Q2: Answer the Following Questions
- Elucidate the biological and cultural factors in Human Evolution.
- How did Morgan explain the evolution of marriage, family and Socio-Political organization, and how did other evolutionists disagree with his explanation? 20
- How do diffusionism and evolutionism differ as explanations of Culture Change? 15
Q3: Answer the Following Questions
- Define family and critically examine the universality of family
- How do you relate the concepts of ‘Sacred’ and ‘Profane’ in Durkheim’s theory of religion with a focus on the role of totem? 15
- Explain the basic features of ‘Postmodernism’ in Anthropology. 20
Q4: Answer the Following Questions
- Critically examine the Formalists’ and Substantivists’ views on the applicability of economic laws in the study of primitive societies. 20
- Explain the difference between emic and etic, and how does the difference derive from the study of language? 10
- What made Geertz’s Interpretive Anthropology distinct from Turner’s Symbolic Anthropology? What does each of them mean by the terms ‘Symbol’ and ‘Symbolic’?
Paper-1: SECTION-B -Download UPSC Mains 2015 Anthropology Questions Paper 1
Q5. Write notes on the following in about 150 words each :— 10 x 5 = 50
- Palaeolithic culture.
- Down’s Syndrome.
- Longitudinal method of studying growth.
- Menopause and its impact.
- DNA technology in Medicine.
Q6. Answer The Following Questions
- Describe the salient characteristics and geographical distribution of Homo erectus. 20
- Critically examine Darwin’s theory of evolution in understanding evolution. 15
- Discuss chromosomal aberrations in man illustrating with examples. 15
Q7. Answer the Following Questions
- What is an anthropometric somatotype? Describe Heath and Carter’s method of somatotyping.
- Critically examine the physiological responses and acclimatization to cold climate in Man. 15
- Elucidate the role of Anthropology in selection and monitoring of sports persons. 15
Q8 -Answer the Following Questions
- Forensic Science can help in criminal investigations. Discuss. 20
- Define genetic polymorphism. Give details of its types with suitable examples. 15
- What do you understand by Immunogenetics? Explain with suitable examples. 15