[Must Prepare Topic ] Environment Performance Index 2018 – Hello Friends Welcome To Studydhaba.com . Here we are sharing Must prepare Topic for UPSC prelims and Mains Exam. Recently Environment performance Report Was Released .
- India ranks 177 among 180 countries in the Environmental Performance Index 2018.
- A drop in the rank from the last index demands a relook at the country’s environmental policy.
- Switzerland top The List Of All Countries
[Must Prepare Topic ] Environment Performance Index 2018
About Environmental Performance Index?
- It is a biennial report published by Yale and Columbia Universities in collaboration with the World Economic Forum.
- It ranks 180 countries based on 24 performance indicators.
- It is divided into 10 categories covering environmental health and ecosystem validity.
- Top rank in sustainability taken by Switzerland, followed by France, Denmark, Malta and Sweden in the recent EPI.
- India at the 177th place is one of the bottom 5 countries on the index.
- The 177th place is a drop of 36 points from 141 in 2016.
- Emerging economies like Brazil and China ranks at 69 and 120.
- India is at the bottom of the environmental health category.
- In terms of air quality, India is at third last.
- Poor performance in the environmental health policy and high pollution-related deaths are the major factors in the overall drop.
- Other major causes include pollution from solid fuels, coal and crop residue burning and emissions from motor vehicles.
- Increasingly degrading air quality in India is attributed to the growth in population, industrial production, and automotive transportation.
Major concern Regarding Indian Environment
- Impact Standard Of Living Of Poor People
- Due To Environment pollution It Causes 8 percent Of GDP
- Air quality is the leading environmental threat to public health
- Over the past decade, the deaths due to a large rise in ultra-fine PM 2.5 particles in the country.
- An estimated 1.4 million premature deaths in India is due to Air pollution.
- Health impacts cause a serious loss in welfare equivalent to about 8% of GDP in 2013.
- The cost of labor productivity became 1.8% of GDP.
- Environmental degradation particularly affects the poor and further degrades their standard of living.
Measures taken By Indian Government
Over the past few years, the government has set some ambitious targets for environmental protection as follows
- Strict environmental standards for coal-fired power plants.
- Bharat Stage VI emission norms to be implemented from April 1, 2020.
- Initiatives to manufacture and sell electric vehicles in the country by 2030.
- Revision of National Solar Mission.
- Encouraging transition to renewable energy.
- The target for solar capacity revised from 20GW to 100 GW by 2022.
- Target to clean highly polluted Ganga by 2018.
Challenges For Indian Government
- No Solar Target For indian Economy – Need To implement It Effectively
- Huge Gap between policy Formulation and Implementation
- The government has relaxed its promise of implementing strict power plant emission norms by December 2017.
- The 30% annual E-waste collection target by manufacturers has been relaxed to 10%.
- The automobile industry has stated that full conversion to electric vehicles is possible only by 2047 which is in contrast to the government’s targets.
- In the clean Ganga initiative, there have been delays in creating an action plan and lack of proper fund utilization.
Important Links For Study Material And Test Series
Follow Us On Facebook – Facebook Page
Join StudyDhaba.Com Telegram Channel – t.me/studydhaba
|EContact US – [email protected] / [email protected]|
|Note & Disclaimer – All Study Materials Here are shared Only For Educational Purposes .Most of The Material Is Already Available On Internet .We Are Just Sharing That Link Only . Whole Materials Is For Education Purpose Only .We Work hard to Provide You Quality Study Materials And Error Free Study Materials For All Competitive Exams .You can Also Share Study Materials,Notes Or Any Materials With Us .We Will Publish That Material On Our Website .It is a Humble Request To All Of You Please Share This Post With Your Friends And On Social Media .|