Important Questions Asked On Sangam Age In previous Years Exams . One of the Most important Topic in Ancient history . Sangam Age Also A Favorite topic for UPSC.
Important Questions asked on Sangam Age
- The ruling elite in the Sangam age was called Arasar.
- The captains of army were invested with the title of Enadi at a formal ceremony
- Rich peasants were called vallalas.
- Agricultural operations were generally carried on by the members of the lowest class called Kadaisiyar, whose status was almost like that of the slaves.
- The chief local god worshiped by the people of the hilly region was Murugan who came to be called Subramaniya in early medieval times.
- The practice of raising hero stones in honour of the heroes who died fighting for king and other objects is called Virakal.
- Land tax was called Karai.
- Rice was the chief crop of the Sangam age.
- External trade, particularly with Roman empire, was very brisk; Roman settlements and gold coins (mainly of Augustus period) have been found at several places like Muziris, Kaveripattanam or Puhar and Arikamedu.
- Main exports were cotton clothes, spices, ivory products, pearls, precious stones etc. Species, particularly pepper, was in much demand by the Romans. Imports included horses, gold, pottery, glass work, wine amphora etc.
- Vishnu was called Tirumala.
- Eripatti was the name of the tank.
- Kanagi was the enraged widow who caused the destruction of the city of Madurai by plucking off her breast and hurling it over the tomb; Pattini Cult is associated with this episode.
- Manimekhalai is considered the odyssey of Tamil poetry.
- The whole Sangam Age is also called Golden or Augustan age in Tamil Literature.
- Colchi was the most important port in the eastern coast during the Sangam age.
- Bunder was the most important port in the western coast.