India Census 2011 –census 2011 highlights
India Census 2011 -census 2011 highlights
The total population of india is 1210193422 at 1March 2011.As per census 2001 the total population of india was 1028737436.so we can say that india population has been increase by 181 million since 2001.This Added population is slightly lower than the total population of Brazil.
world 10 most populous country
|Rank||Country||Population||% age of the World|
- it is to be noted that india has total area 2.4 percent of world total area .and population 17.5 percent of world total population.
- among the ten most populous country of world Bangladesh is the only country which has more density than india .
- The united nation has estimated that world population has grown at the rate of 1.23 percent from 2000-2010.
- the only decade in which indian population growth rate was negative -1911 -1921
- Highest decadal growth rate was in decade – 1961-1971
- as per annual census the average annual exponential growth rate is 1.64 percent in india .
- the total population of india is equal to combined population of USA,INDONESIA,BRAZIL,PAKISTAN,BANGLADESH,JAPAN
*States having highest decadal Growth rate in Descending order
- Meghalaya – 27.8 percent
- Arunachal Pradesh – 25.9 percent
- Bihar – 25.1 percent
- Jammu and kashmir – 23.7 percent
Union territories having highest decadal growth rate
- Dadar nagar haveli – 55.5 percent
- Daman and Diu – – 53.5 percent
- Puducherry – 27.7 percent
- Delhi – 21.0 percent
States having lowest decadal growth rate
- Nagaland – -0.5 percent
- kerala – 4.9 percent
- Goa – 8.2 percent
- Andhara Pardesh – 11.1 percent
Union territories with lowest decadal growth Rate
- lakshadweep – 6.2 percent
- Andaman and nicobar – 6.7 percent
- chandigarh – 17.1 percent
Most populous states in india
- Uttar Pradesh
- West Bengal
- Andhara pardesh
- Madhya Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu –
Most populous union territories
- Andaman and nicobar
Least populous states in ascending order .
- Arunachal Pardesh
- as per census 2011 uttar padesh is the most populous state of india .here more than 200 million people which is more population than total population of Brazil
- total population of uttar pradesh and Maharashtra is more than third most populated country of world USA
- As per census 2011 total population of children in india from age group between 0-6 years are 13.1 percent of total population .
- Children were 15.9 percent of the total population in 2001.
- it means there has been decrease in numbers by 2.8 percent compare to 2001 in 2011
- Highest number of children in india from age group between 0-6 years are maximum in Meghalaya>Bihar>Jammu and Kashmir >Jharkhand>
- lowest number of children in india are in TamilNadu (9.56 % )and followed by Goa(9.57 percent)
Sex Ratio In India
- In india sex ratio is a serious issue because sex ratio is very low in india.
- sex ratio is calculated on the basis of ,number of female per thousands male .
- the sex ratio in india is 940 according to census 2011.it means there are 940 female in india for 1000 male .
- if we see india sex ratio its position is 9th in world with comparing 10 most populous country.
- the sex ratio in pakistan is 943 which is better than india .
|Sex Ratio of 10 Most Populous Countries|
|World||984 – year 2010|
|Bangladesh||978 -2010 Bsis|
|Brazil||1,042 – 2010 Basis|
|India||940 -2011 basis|
State wise variation in sex Ratio –
- Among the indian states highest sex ratio is in kerala – 1084 ,where as lowest sex ratio is in Haryana -877.
- among the union territories highest sex ratio is in puducherry -1038 where as lowest sex ratio is 618 – Daman and Diu.
- three states Bihar, Jammu and kashmir ,and Gujarat are the only states in which sex ratio decreases.
- Punjab ,Haryana ,Delhi and Chandigarh are the only states and union territories which shown a positive growth rate in sex ratio.
States having Highest sex ratio in India( descending Order)
- Kerala – 1084
- Tamil Nadu – 995
- Andhra Pradesh – 992
- Chhattisgarh – 991
- Manipur – 987
States having lowest sex ratio in ascending Order
- Haryana -877
- Jammu and kashmir – 883
- Sikkim – 889
- Punjab – 893
The Sex ratio in Union Territories except Puducherry and lakshadweep is alarming
- Daman and diu – 618
- Dadara and Nagar Haveli – 775
- chandigarh – 818
- Delhi – 866
- Andaman and Nicobar – 878
- Lakshadweep – 946
- Puducherry – 1038
- trend in sex ratio is negative and it is alarming sign for the india ,
- in 2001 child sex ratio was 927 now this sex ratio is 914- 2011
- Among the sates lowest sex ratio of children between 0-6 years age is Haryana – 830<Punjab- 846
- Among the union territories lowest is in delhi -866
Literacy – India Literacy data according to census 2011
- Literacy is an important factor of the human development index (HDI).
- Government of india doing very well for increasing overall literacy rate up to 85 percent ,
- as per census literacy rate of india is 74.4 percent .which means 74 percent of india population above 7 years age is literate.
- according to indian census that person is considered literate who is 7 years old or above ,who can read and write any language with understanding .it is not necessary that any person should have a formal education .
- before 1991 census children of 5 years age or below were considered illiterate .
- in 1991 ,age was increased from 5 to 7 years.
- in 1991 census all children between age group of 0-6 years are considered illiterate.
Crude literacy Rate – = Number of Literate /Total population of country ×100
- As per census 2011 literacy rate is 82.14 percent for male and female literacy rate is 65.46 percent .
- so there is still a difference in male literacy rate and female literacy Rate – 16.68 percent.
- According to government 11th Five year plan -government want to reduce literacy rate difference to 10 percent between Male and Female.
States having Highest Literacy Rate – In Descending Order
- Kerala -93.91 percent
- Mizoram – 91.58 percent
- Tripura – 87.75 percent
- Goa – 87.40 percent
States having lowest literacy Rate – Ascending Order
- Bihar – 63.82 percent
- Arunachal Pradesh – 66.95 percent
- Rajasthan – 67.06 percent
- Jharkhand – 67.63 percent
Union Territories having highest literacy Rate in ascending Order
- Chandigarh – 86.43 percent
- Puducherry – 86.55 percent
- Daman and diu – 87.07 percent
- Lakshadweep – 92.28 percent
Population density in India according to census 2011
- the population residing in per square kilometre area is called population density
- as per census 2011 population density of india is 382 .in 2001 population density was 325 person per square kilometer.
- as per census 2011 population density was higher in Bihar followed by west Bengal .
- lowest density is in Arunachal Pardesh
Highlights of Census 2011
- Total population of India has reached to 121 crores.
- It comprises 62.31 crores males and 58.74 crores females.
- Total absolute increase in population during the decade is 18.19 crores.
- Population growth during the decade remained 17.7 percent.
- Density of population per sq. km. has been 382 persons.
- Sex ratio for females per 1000 males is 943 females.
- Child sex ratio for females is 919 per 1000 males.
- Literacy rate of India has gone up to 73.0 percent from previous figure of 64.83 percent