Jawahar Gram Samridhi Yojana (JGSY)
Jawahar Gram Samridhi Yojana (JGSY) – The critical importance of rural infrastructure in the development of village economy is well known. A number of steps have been initiated by the Central as well as the State Governments for building the rural infrastructure. The public works programme have also contributed significantly in this direction.
- Jawahar Gram Samridhi Yojana (JGSY) is the restructured, streamlined and comprehensive version of the erstwhile Jawahar Rozgar Yojana.
- Designed to improve the quality of life of the poor, JGSY has been launched on 1st April, 1999.
- The primary objective of the JGSY is the creation of demand driven community village infrastructure including durable assets at the village level and assets to enable the rural poor to increase the opportunities for sustained employment.
- The secondary objective is the generation of supplementary employment for the unemployed poor in the rural areas.
- The wage employment under the programme shall be given to Below Poverty Line(BPL) families.
- JGSY is implemented entirely at the village Panchayat level. Village Panchayat is the sole authority for preparation of the Annual Plan and its implementation.
- The programme will be implemented as Centrally Sponsored Scheme on cost sharing basis between the Centre and the State in the ratio of 75:25 respectively.
- The programme is to be implemented by the Village Panchayats with the approval of Gram sabha.
- No other administrative or technical approval will be required.
- For works/schemes costing more than 50,000/-, after taking the approval of the Gram Sabha, the Village Panchayat shall seek the technical/administrative approval of appropriate authorities.
- Panchayats may spend upto 15% of allocation on maintenance of assets created under the programme within its geographical boundary. 22.5% of JGSY funds have been en marked for individual beneficiary schemes for SC/STs. 3% of annual allocation would be utilised for creation of barrier free infrastructure for the disabled.
- The funds to the Village Panchayats will be allocated on the basis of the population. The upper ceiling of 10,000 population has been removed.
How to Seek Assistance:
- Village Pradhan, Panchayat members, Block Development Officer, District Collector or District Rural Development Agency may be contacted.