Leap Year 2020 | When Is Next Leap Year | What Is A Leap Year ? – 2020 Is a Leap Year And In this Post We will Share What is a Leapyear and Why It is So Necessary . Only since 1582 (Gregorian Calendar) . These leapyear rules were introduced in 1582 by the Gregorian Calendar, named after Pope Gregory XIII. (It replaced the old Julian Calendar by Julius Caesar that only has one rule of a leapyear every 4th year, and is now about 13 days behind our current date.)
What Is a Leap Year ? |
Simply put, a leap year is a year with an extra day—February 29—which is added nearly every four years to the calendar year.
- A normal years has 365 days.
- A Leap Years has 366 days (the extra day is the 29th of February).
How to know if it is a Leap Year:
- Leap Years are any year that can be exactly divided by 4 (such as 2016, 2020, 2024, etc)
- Not except if it can be exactly divided by 100, then it isn’t (such as 2100, 2200, etc)
- yes except if it can be exactly divided by 400, then it is (such as 2000, 2400)
Here are the rules of leap years:
- A year may be a leap year if it is evenly divisible by 4.
- Years that are divisible by 100 (century years such as 1900 or 2000) cannot be leap years unless they are also divisible by 400. (For this reason, the years 1700, 1800, and 1900 were not leap years, but the years 1600 and 2000 were.)
If a year satisfies both the rules above, then it is a leap year.
Why Is 2020 a Leap Years?
2020 happens to follow the rules of leap years:
- 2020 divided by 4 equals 505 with no remainder.
- 2020 is not a century year, so it does not need to be divisible by 100 or 400.
Therefore, 2020 abides by the rules of leap years and will have an extra day added to it: Saturday, February 29.
WHEN IS THE NEXT LEAP YEAR?
|Leap Years||Leap Day|
|2020||Saturday, February 29|
|2024||Thursday, February 29|
|2028||Tuesday, February 29|
|2032||Sunday, February 29|
Why There Is Leap year And Why We Observe Leap year Every Fourth Year ?
Because the Earth rotates about 365.242375 times a year …
… But In a normal year is 365 days, …
So something has to be done to “catch up” the extra 0.242375 days a year.
- One orbit of Earth around the Sun takes approximately 365.25 days—a little more than our Gregorian calendar’s nice, round number of 365.
- Because the calendar does not account for the extra quarter of a day that the Earth requires to complete its orbit around the Sun, it doesn’t completely align with the solar year.
- Because of this .25 difference, our calendar gradually gets out of sync with the seasons.
- Adding an extra day, aka a “leap day,” to the calendar every 4 years brings the calendar in line and therefore realigns it with the seasons.
- Without leap days, the calendar would be off by 5 hours, 48 minutes, and 45 seconds more each year.
- After 100 years, the seasons would be off by 25 days! Eventually, the months we call February and March would feel like summer months in the Northern Hemisphere.
- The extra leap day adjusts this drift, but it’s not a perfect match: Adding a leap day every four years overcompensates by a few extra seconds each leap year, adding up to about three extra days every 10,000 years.
What is the new system?
- In the Gregorian calendar, a century year (a year ending with 00) is not a leap year, even though it is a multiple of 4. Thus, the year 2100 will not be a leap year.
- But even this does not provide total accuracy. To ensure that, some century years remain leap years. In the Gregorian calendar, leap years include those century years which are exactly divisible by 400.
- Thus, 2000 remained a leap year even though it ended with 00.
- The Gregorian calendar reduces the margin of error under the Julian calendar, thus keeping days more in tune with seasons.
|Important Links For Study Material And Test Series | what is leap year upsc|
|Follow Us On Facebook – Facebook Page|
|The Hindu Daily News Paper Important Articles Pdf|
|Join StudyDhaba.Com Telegram Channel – t.me/studydhaba|
|Latest Current Affairs Magazine|
|UPSC Prelims ,Mains ,Optional Study Materials|
|UPSC Prelims Test Series|
|UPSC Mains Test Series|
|UPSC Optional Test Series|
|SSC Study Materials|
|IBPS Study Material|
|Insurance Exams Free Study Materials|
|NEET Exam Free Study Material Pdf|
|Latest RRB Study Material Pdf|
|Teaching Exams Study Material Pdf|
|EContact US – [email protected] / [email protected]|
|Note & Disclaimer – All Study Materials Here are shared Only For Educational Purposes .Most of The Material Is Already Available On Internet .We Are Just Sharing That Link Only . Whole Materials Is For Education Purpose Only .We Work hard to Provide You Quality Study Materials And Error Free Study Materials For All Competitive Exams .You can Also Share Study Materials,Notes Or Any Materials With Us .We Will Publish That Material On Our Website .It is a Humble Request To All Of You Please Share This Post With Your Friends And On Social Media .|