March Current Affairs PDF Free From 1st to 20th March 2016
March Current Affairs PDF Free From 1st to 20th March 2016
March Current Affairs PDF Free From 1st to 20th March 2016
Renowned Indologist David Shulman awarded Israel Prize
- Renowned Indologist Professor David Shulman has been selected for the prestigious Israel Prize for his breakthrough studies in fields like philosophy and religion.
- He was chosen for this award for his studies on the religion, literature and culture of southern India and has command over Indian languages like Sanskrit, Tamil, Telegu and Malayalam.
About ISRAEL Prize
- Israel Prize is considered the country’s highest honour presented annually on Independence Day.
- It is given to those who have displayed excellence in their fields, or have contributed strongly to Israeli culture or the State.
Renowned Malayalam writer Akbar Kakkattil passes away
- Renowned Malayalam writer Akbar Kakkattil passed away in Kozhikode, Kerala due to cancer.
- He was 62.
- He was known for giving birth to a new genre in Malayalam literature and his works are known for their unique narrative style which has an undertone of unfailing humour.
Union Government launches Website for maiden Maritime India Summit
- Union Government has formally launched website for maiden Maritime India Summit 2016 scheduled to be held in April 2016.
- It was launched by Union Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari on the sidelines of the Make in India Week in Mumbai.
Vibrant North East event concludes in Guwahati
- The three-day long Vibrant North East event concluded in Guwahati, Assam.
- It was inaugurated on 18 February 2016 by Union Minister Food Processing Industries Harsimrat Kaur.
- It was the second edition of the event jointly organized by the Centre for Agriculture and Rural Development (CARD) and ASSOCHAM.
Justice Vineet Saran appointed as Chief Justice of Orissa High Court
- President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed Justice Vineet Saran as the new Chief Justice (CJ) of Orissa High Court as per the provisions of Article 217 of Constitution.
- His appointment comes after it was lying vacant ever since transfer of Justice D H Waghela as CJ of Bombay High Court.
Union Government launches Swachh Paryatan mobile app
- Union Government has launched ‘Swachh Parayatan’ mobile application to keep tourist places clean.
- It was launched by Union Minister of State (MoS) for Tourism, Culture and Civil Aviation Mahesh Sharma in New Delhi.
Haryana set to become first state to complete Aquifer mapping
- Haryana is set become the first state in the country to complete aquifer mapping for its groundwater resources by May 2016.
- Aquifer is an underground layer of water-bearing rock from which groundwater can be extracted.
In Details Covered In Separate Article –
World’s 1st fast-acting Anti-Rabies drug to be launched in India
- World’s first fast-acting anti-rabies drug Rabies Human Monoclonal Antibody (RMAb) will be launched in India.
- The drug has been developed by Pune-based Serum Institute of India (SII) and US-based MassBiologics of the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
42nd Khajuraho Dance Festival organised in Madhya Pradesh
- The 42nd edition of world famous Khajuraho Dance Festival began at Khajuraho in Chhatrapur District in Madhya Pradesh.
- It is a cultural festival that highlights the richness of the various Indian classical dance styles.
- It showcases performances of some of the best exponents in the field of Bharathanatyam, Kathak, Kuchipudi, Odissi, Manipuri and Kathakali.
GVK Bio awarded Global CSR Excellence & Leadership Award
- Hyderabad-based GVK Biosciences (GVK BIO) has been awarded prestigious Global CSR Excellence & Leadership Award.
- The company was bestowed with this award in the category of Best Environment Friendly Project for its ambitious Go Green, Grow Green plantation drive under its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative.
Indian Railways, ISRO ink MoU for Remote Sensing, GIS Technologies
- The Union Ministry of Railways and Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) have signed a MoU for Effective use of Space Technology in Remote Sensing and Geographic Information System (GIS) based Governance Application for Indian Railways.
Geetakshi Arora wins inaugural Noor Inayat Khan Prize
- An Indian student Geetakshi Arora has been awarded the inaugural Noor Inayat Khan Prize for her excellent dissertation on “Goddess Myths in Graphic Novels: Reimagining Indian Feminity”.
- Currently, Geetakshi is a post-graduate student of the South Asia Institute at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London.
10th Asian Film Awards
- The 10th edition of Asian film Awards, one of the Asia’s leading film awards was held in the Venetian Casino and Hotel in Macau, China.
- The Assassin has bagged 8 awards in different categories in the 2016 Asian film Awards.
List of winners
- Best Film: The Assassin.
- Best Director: Hou Hsiao-Hsien (The Assassin) from Taiwan.
- Best Actor: Lee Byung-hun (The Inside Men).
- Best Actress: Shu Qi (The Assassin).
- Best Newcomer: Jessie Li (Port of Call).
- Best Supporting Actor: Tadanobu Asano (Journey to the Shore).
- Best Supporting Actress: Zhou Yun (The Assassin).
- Best Screenplay: Jia Zhangke (Mountains May Depart).
- Best Cinematography: Mark Lee Ping-bing (The Assassin).
- Best Production Design: Hwarng Wern-ying (The Assassin).
- Best Original Music: Lim Giong (The Assassin).
- Best Editing: Chu Ka-yat, William Chang Suk-ping, Liao Ching-sung, Wong Hoi, Philip Yung (Port of Call).
- Best Visual Effects: Prasad Sutar (Bajirao Mastani).
- Best Costume Design: Lee Ji-yeon and Shim Hyun-seob (The Throne).
- Best Sound: Tu Duu-chih, Chu Shih-yi and Wu Shu-yao (The Assassin).
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Yuen Wo-ping and Kirin Kiki
Goa Government accords heritage spirit status to country liquor Feni
- Goa government has classified Feni, country liquor as the heritage spirit of the state.
- In this regard, state government has opined not categorise it as country liquor as it is presently defined under the Goa Excise Duty Act, 1964.
Former Mossad Director Meir Dagan passes away
- Former Director of Israel’s intelligence agency Mossad Meir Dagan passed away due to liver cancer.
- He was 71. Dagan had served as Director General of the Mossad from 2002 until his retirement in 2011.
- He was widely credited for covertly disrupting Iran’s nuclear program.
TCS named official technology partner for Virgin Money London Marathon
- Tata Consultancy Services on 17 March 2016 announced a three year partnership with the Virgin Money London Marathon.
- The aim of the partnership is to enhance the digital experience delivered to marathon participants.
LA Law actor Larry Drake passed away
- Emmy Award winning actor Larry Drake, who famously played Benny on L.A. Law, died on 17 March 2016 in Hollywood, California.
- He was 66.
Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan launched FCI’s Depot Online System
- Ram Vilas Paswan Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution Ram Vilas Paswan on 17 March 2016 launched the Online Depot System in New Delhi to automate all the operations of Food Corporation of India (FCI) depots.
Amar Abrol appointed as CEO of AirAsia India
- Amar Abrol AirAsia India on 17 March 2016 announced the appointment of Amar Abrol as its chief executive officer with effect from 1 April 2016.
Bharti Airtel acquired Videocon’s spectrum in 6 circles for 4428 crore rupees
- Bharti Airtel Ltd., India’s largest mobile phone operator, on 17 March 2016 announced the acquisition of Videocon Telecommunications Ltd’s entire spectrum for 4428 crore rupees.
Fazle Kabir appointed Governor of Bangladesh Bank
- Fazle Kabir on 15 March 2016 was appointed the 11th Governor of the Bangladesh Bank, the central bank of Bangladesh.
- Kabir replaced Atiur Rahman, who had resigned after taking moral responsibility over electronic theft of 101 million US dollars.
IAF conducts day-night exercise ‘Iron-fist 2016’ at Pokhran firing range
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) has conducted its flagship day-night exercise ‘Iron-fist 2016’ at Pokhran firing range in Rajasthan.
- The day-night exercise demonstrating IAF’s combat and fire power was conducted in the presence of Hon’ble President Shri Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The event comprised six packages depicting six themes in which more than 180 aircraft, including fighters, transport and helicopters participated.
- Fly Past.
- Net Enabled Operations.
- Air Defence Operations
- Combat Support Operations
- Flying Displays
- All Weather Operations
British astronomers discover largest sample of 9 monster stars
- British astronomers have discovered largest sample cluster of nine monster stars named as R136 using NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope.
- The cluster is the largest group of very massive stars ever identified.
- The research findings were published in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
Some Key facts:
- The R136 cluster of monster stars have masses over 100 times and are 30 million times brighter than of our Sun in the star cluster located about 170,000 light years away.
- It is located in the Tarantula Nebula with in the Large Magellanic Cloud a satellite galaxy of our own Milky Way.
- The young cluster hosts many extremely massive, hot & luminous stars whose energy is mostly radiated in the ultraviolet (UV).
Union Government unveils Model Building Bye-Laws, 2016
- The Union Government has unveiled a Model Building Bye-Laws, 2016 for granting permission for construction of buildings.
- It was released by the Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi.
- It seeks to provide an online single window framework for approval process.
Union Government bans repeat animal testing of drugs
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has scrapped repeat tests on animals for drugs which already have been approved by other countries.
- In this regard, the ministry has as amended Schedule Y of the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945.
India inks $35 million loan agreement with WB for MP project
- India has signed loan agreement of 35 million dollars with the World Bank for Madhya Pradesh citizen access to responsive services project.
- The loan has been sanctioned by the World Bank’s concessionary lending arm International Development Association (IDA).
General Lori Robinson nominated as first US female combatant Chief
- United States (US) Air Force General Lori Robinson has been selected as the next head of the US military’s Northern Command.
- With this she becomes the first woman to head a US combatant command as the position is one of the most senior in the US military.
Ashley Judd appointed as Goodwill Ambassador of UN Population Fund appointed
- Acclaimed humanitarian, actor, writer and political activist Ashley Judd from US has been appointed as Goodwill Ambassador of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).
- As a Goodwill Ambassador, she will support the UNFPA’s efforts to empower women to choose when and how often to become pregnant and to stop women dying giving life
- Ms. Judd’s appointment comes at the opening of the historic 60th session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women, the principal global intergovernmental body exclusively dedicated to the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women.
- The priority theme for the 60th session is women’s empowerment and its link to sustainable development.
Union Government launches FCI’s Depot Online System
- Union Government has launched Depot Online System of state run Food Corporation of India (FCI) to bring transparency and minimise storage losses of foodgrains.
- It was launched by Union Food and public Distribution Minister Ram Vilas Paswan in New Delhi as part of Digital India initiative of Union Government.
Punjab Government notifies swine flu under Epidemic Disease Act
- Under the Epidemic Disease Act Punjab Government has notified swine flu (H1N1) in order to prevent the spread of disease in the state.
- Based on recommendations of state advisory committee headed by Dr. D Behera Health and Family Welfare Department of state has issued notification in this regard.
Key highlights of notification:
- According to this notification all government and private hospitals in state will have to inform the Health Department about a case of ILI (Influenza like Illness) having chronic diseases.
- And this kind of medical cases will be treated as early as possible and proper guidelines of the government should be followed.
- All hospitals across the state will have to keep suspected as well as confirmed cases (patients) of swine flu in isolation in order to be protected from the spread of the disease.
- In case a suspected or confirmed case of swine flu is reported all hospitals have to inform the Health department compulsory.
- For all the swine flu infected patients treatment will be provided free of cost as suggested by the Government.
Swine flu (swine influenza):
- It is a respirational disease caused by viruses (influenza viruses) which is infects due to the breathing tract of pigs.
- H1N1 (Hemagglutinin Type 1 and Neuraminidase Type 1) is derived from influenza A virus which was the most common cause of human influenza (flu).
- Its common symptoms are: Nasal secretions A barking cough Decreased appetite Listless behaviour
PM Narendra Modi named among 30 most influential people on internet list of Time Magazine
- Time Magazine has named Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi among the 2016 edition list of 30 most influential people on the internet.
- He was placed at 15th position.
- The list has been topped by the American hip hop artist and entrepreneur Kanye West
British mathematician Andrew Wiles wins 2016 Abel Prize
- British mathematician Andrew Wiles (62) was named as the winner of the prestigious 2016 Abel Prize.
- He was selected by the Norwegian Academy of Sciences and Letters for solving a centuries old hypothesis (equation), Fermat’s Last Theorem.
ICICI Bank launches NFC-based contactless mobile payment solution Touch & Pay
- India’s largest private sector lender ICICI Bank has launched new contactless mobile payment solution Touch & Pay based on Near Field Communication (NFC) technology.
- The payment solution will enable the bank’s credit and debit customers to make in-store contactless payments by waving their smartphones near an NFC-enabled merchant terminal.
HS Prannoy wins 2016 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold badminton title
- Ace Indian shuttler HS Prannoy (World no 13) has won the prestigious 2016 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament in the men’s single category.
- In the final match played at Basel, Switzerland, he defeated Marc Zwiebler (World no 7) of Germany 21-18, 21-15 score.
- It was his second Grand Prix Gold title.
Yogeshwar Dutt wins Gold medal in Asian Olympic Qualification tournament
- Star Indian grappler Yogeshwar Dutt has won a Gold medal in the Asian Olympic Qualification tournament in the 65 kg freestyle category.
- In the final match held at Astana in Kazakhstan, he defeated Katai Yeerlanbieke from China in the 65 kg freestyle category.
Venkaiah Naidu conferred with Skoch Lifetime Achievement Award
- Union urban Development, Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation and Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu has been conferred with the Skoch Lifetime Achievement Award.
- He was bestowed with this award at 43rd SKOCH summit held in New Delhi for his contributions to inclusive growth and towards poverty alleviation in India.
Haryana New Secretariat Building gets first Earthquake Warning System in country
- Haryana’s New Secretariat Building in Chandigarh has become first building in the country to have an early Earthquake Warning and Security system (onsite).
- The system was installed by New Delhi based Terra Techcom Private Limited and Secretary Electronics GmbH, Germany.
Renowned British author Anita Brookner passes away
- Renowned British author and art historian Anita Brookner passed away.
- She was 87.
- Brookner had won the Booker in 1984 for her novel Hotel du Lac and was a bestselling author who had written around 25 books.
Nobel Prize winner economist Lloyd Stowell Shapley passes away
- Renowned American mathematician and Nobel Prize-winning economist Lloyd Stowell Shapley passed away on 12 March 2016.
- He was 92.
- He had contributed to the fields of mathematical economics and especially game theory.
- He was considered one of the fathers of game theory.
China to set up International Maritime Judicial Centre
- China’s Supreme Court has decided to set up its own International Maritime Judicial Centre (IMJC) to handle territorial disputes and protect its sea rights.
- It was announced by China’s Supreme Court Chief Justice Zhou Qiang at the annual meeting of the national legislature National People’s Congress (NPC).
Lok Sabha passes Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Bill, 2016
- Sabha has passed Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Bill, 2016 by voice vote to make amendments to the Enemy Property Act, 1968.
- The bill replaces the Enemy Property (Amendment and Validation) Ordinance, 2016 promulgated by President Pranab Mukherjee in January 2016
Parliament passes National Waterways Bill, 2015
- The Parliament has passed National Waterways Bill, 2015 to clear decks for the conversion of 106 rivers and creeks across India into transport waterways.
- It was first passed in Lok Sabha in December 2015 i.e. in the winter session and later was passed by Rajya Sabha in March 2016 i.e. in the budget session
Key features of the Bill :
- The enactment of this Act (Central legislation) will pave way for the inclusion of 106 additional inlands waterways.
- Thus the total number of national waterways numbers will go up to 111 from existing five national waterways.
- Declaration of these National Waterways would enable Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) to develop the feasible stretches for Shipping and Navigation.
- The Bill repeals the five Acts that declare the existing national waterways.
- These five national waterways are now covered under the Bill.
- The Schedule mentioned in the Bill also specifies the extent of development to be undertaken on each waterway.
Singapore’s Changi Airport voted as world’s best airport in 2016
- In a recent, Singapore’s Changi Airport was voted as the best airport at the 2016 World Airport Awards.
- It was for the fourth consecutive time that Singapore’s Changi Airport got voted as the World’s best airport.
- The survey was conducted by aviation research firm Skytrax and the decision was based on the votes of the travellers, in what is said to be the largest, global airport satisfaction survey.
- The World Airport’s Award are annually conducted annually by Skytrax.
Hinduja brothers richest Asian-origin entrepreneur in Britain
- In a recent, Indian born Hinduja Brothers — G P Hinduja and S P Hinduja recently topped the ‘Asian Rich List 2016.’
- The Asian Rich List is an annual ranking which assesses the total wealth of Britain’s’ top 101 richest Asians and is developed by UK-based publishing house Asian Media and Market.
- The Hinduja Brothers with an estimated fortune of 16.5 billion pounds top the ranking followed by top steel tycoon Lakshmi N Mittal who has a fortune of 6.4 billion pounds, and ranks second on the list.
- The 2016 analysis of the UK’s richest Asian revealed that the fortune of the UK’s richest Asians has increased from 54.48 billion pounds in 2015 to 55.54 billion pounds in 2016.
General Lori Robinson to become first woman to lead combatant command in US military
- In a recent development, US Defence secretary Ash Carter nominated General Lori Robinson to lead US Northern Command (NORTHCOM).
- The position is one of the senior most in the US military and has to be confirmed by the senate. If confirmed, this will the first time in US military history that a female would be appointed to lead a combatant command.
- General Robinson enrolled in Air force in 1982 and is currently the commander for the Pacific Air Forces. As per reports, if appointed she would replace Admiral Bill Gortney, who has held the position since 2014.
Vanjangipeta became first open defecation-free village in AP
- In a recent development,Vanjangipeta a small village in the north coastal district of Srikakulam has become the first open defecation free village in the district.
- The village which was previously known for its poor hygiene and unsanitary conditions, now has toilet in every household.
- There are in all 162 houses in the village and following the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan,the villagers of Vanjangipeta ‘s constructed individual toilets through collective efforts.
Kerala to produce organic milk in tie up with The Netherland
- In a recent development, Kerala’s State co-operative Milk Marketing Federation, MILMA is soon to join hands with the Netherland to produce high quality, nutritious ‘organic milk’ without using synthetic feed or antibiotic while rearing cattle.
- As many as five milk societies have been identified for implementing the ambitious project which are to soon begin operations after the Dutch government gives it approval.
- K T Thomas, Managing Director of MILMA in Malabar region, which manages dairy co-operative societies in six northern districts of the state, said an MoU is expected to be signed in this regard soon.
- The Kerala’s State co-operative Milk Marketing Federation, MILMA has tied up with Solidaridad, a state-recognised NGO in Netherlands and Trans-disciplinary university in Bengaluru which concentrates on promoting traditional food, culture and treatment systems.
IRCTC Survey – Surat cleanest railway station
- Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) survey – Surat is the cleanest railway station
- As per the recent survey conducted by Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), Surat has been termed as the cleanest railway station, followed by Rajkot and Bilaspur (Chhattisgarh).
- The findings are based on the survey conducted in January-February 2016 at 407 railway stations, which included 75 A-1 stations (Those stations which earn revenue more than Rs.50 crore) and 332 A category stations(Those with revenue between Rs. 6 crore and Rs. 50 crore) in India.
- The survey was based on the feedback of around 1.34 lakh passengers who gave their responses on 40 cleanliness parameters.
- This survey was a part of Prime Minster Narendra Modi’s ‘Swacch Bharat Abhiyaan’. In all 40 per cent of all the stations surveyed fared ‘average’ in terms of cleanliness. Varanasi, PM Modi’s constituency’s railway station stood 65 among the 75 A-1 railway station.
- In A- Category, Beas (Punjab) followed by Gandhidham (Gujarat), Vasco Da Gama (Goa), Jamnagar (Gujarat), Kumbakonam (Tamil Nadu) and Nasik Road (Maharashtra) were among the cleanest railway stations.
India and Australia sign pact to avoid double social security contribution
- In a recent development, India signed a pact with Australia to avoid double social security contribution.
- As per the pact, employees of India deputed to Australia and vice versa will not have to make double social security contribution.
- With this, Australia has become the 14th country with which India has a social security agreement in force.
- The other countries with which India has this pact includes Korea, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Hungry, Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, Norway and Switzerland.
India to sign trilateral road pact with Myanmar and Thailand
- As per recent development, India is to sign a trilateral road agreement with Myanmar and Thailand with the view to link the North-East and two of the East Asian countries — Myanmar an Thailand.
- Union Road Minister Nitin Gadkari said, “The landmark Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal (BBIN) Motor Pact has already been inked with identification of 14 routes for passenger services and 7 routes for cargo movement.”
- The India-Myanmar-Thailand (IMT) trilateral pact is expected to provide ease of travel between SAARC and ASEAN Nation and expected to boost business, trade, education, trade an tourism among these regional groups.