MARRAKESH TREATY Pdf Download – Notes For prelims,Mains – Hello friends Welcome To StudyDhaba.Com..Here We are Sharing Notes on Marrakesh Treaty for UPSC prelims And Mains Exam.
MARRAKESH TREATY Pdf Download – Notes For prelims,Mains
Why in News?
- On Sep 29th, Marrakesh Treaty came into force, after 22 countries ratified the treaty adopted in 2013 by members of World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
What is Marrakesh Treaty?
- The Treaty is to facilitate Access to Published works by Visually Impaired Persons and Persons with Print Disabilities.
- It is also called “Books for Blind” treaty.
Highlights of the treaty:
- The treaty allows for copyright exceptions to help for the creation, export and import, sharing, translation of the books in any format for accessible versions of copyrighted books and other works for the people with impaired visibility.
- The treaty is expected to alleviate the “book famine” experienced by 300 million people suffering from such disability, according to WHO.
Implementation of Treaty
- World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO), a United Nations Organisation based in Geneva, administers the Marrakesh Treaty and leads an alliance of private and public partners known as the Accessible Books Consortium (ABC).
- The ABC has established a free centralized electronic database of accessible books produced by libraries for the blind around the world. It is a library-to-library service.
India and Marrakesh Treaty
- India was the first country to ratify the Marrakesh Treaty back in July 2014 and has set an example for other countries to follow.
- India has 63 million visually impaired people, of whom about 8 million are blind, according to WHO.
- India has begun implementation of the Marrakesh Treaty through a multi-stakeholder approach, which includes collaboration among key players such as government ministries, local champions like the DAISY Forum of India, and the private sector.
- In line with Marrakesh treaty, India launched Accessible India Campaign (Sugama Bharat Abhiyan) and has set up Sugamya Pustakalaya, which has 2,00,000 volumes.
(Note: It is not to be confused with Marrakesh Agreement signed at the end of Uruguay round of discussions for establishing WTO.)
For More Details Please visit this Link – www.worldblindunion.org
Important Links For Study Material And Test Series
Follow Us On Facebook – Facebook Page
Join StudyDhaba.Com Telegram Channel – t.me/studydhaba
|EContact US – [email protected] / [email protected]|
|Note & Disclaimer – All Study Materials Here are shared Only For Educational Purposes .Most of The Material Is Already Available On Internet .We Are Just Sharing That Link Only . Whole Materials Is For Education Purpose Only .We Work hard to Provide You Quality Study Materials And Error Free Study Materials For All Competitive Exams .You can Also Share Study Materials,Notes Or Any Materials With Us .We Will Publish That Material On Our Website .It is a Humble Request To All Of You Please Share This Post With Your Friends And On Social Media .