Prerna Scheme – (National Population Stabilization Fund) – Prerna Scheme – (National Population Stabilization Fund)
Prerna Scheme – (National Population Stabilization Fund)
- In order to help push up the age of marriage of girls and space the birth of children in the interest of health of young mothers and infants.
- Jansankhya Sthirata Kosh (National Population Stabilization Fund) – an autonomous body of the MoHFW, Govt. of India has launched PRERNA, a Responsible Parenthood Strategy in all districts of seven focus states namely Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha, and Rajasthan.
- The strategy recognizes and awards couples who have broken the stereotype of early marriage, early childbirth and repeated child birth and have helped change the mindsets of the community.
- In order to become eligible for award under the scheme, the girl should have been married after 19 years of age and given birth to the first child after at least 2 years of marriage.
- The couple will get an award of Rs.10, 000/- if it is a Boy child or Rs.12, 000/- if it is a Girl child.
- If birth of the second child takes place after at least 3 years of the birth of first child and either parent voluntarily accept permanent method of family planning within one year of the birth of the second child, the couple will get an additional award of Rs.5,000/- (Boy child) / Rs.7,000/- (Girl child).
- The amount of award is given in the form of National Saving Certificate (NSC). The scheme is meant only for BPL families.
Forum IAS Indian government Schemes Current Affairs notes pdf 2017
Government Schemes vision ias Pdf Download -IAS Prelims 2017,Mains
Modi Government Achievements April 2016 – List of All Works
- Prerna Scheme
Which organization or Department Implementing ?
- Jansankhya Sthirata Kosh (National Population Stabilization Fund)
- Ministry of Health And Family Welfare
- Autonomous Body
Objective Of Prerna Scheme
- to help push up the age of marriage of girls and space the birth of children in the interest of health of young mothers and infants
Targeted States under this Scheme
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha, and Rajasthan.
Awards For Family
- awards couples who have broken the stereotype of early marriage, early childbirth and repeated child birth and have helped change the mindsets of the community
Important Conditions For Cash Award Under this Scheme
- Couple must belong to BPL family
- Age of lady should not exceed 30 years
- The girl should have been married after 19 years
- First child birth after at least 2 years of marriage
- Second child birth after at least 3 years of the first child birth
- Either parent voluntarily accepts permanent method of family planning within one year of the second child birth
If above four (S.N. 1-4) conditions are fulfilled then payment of award:
- 10000 For Boy Child
- 12000 For Girl child
If all above six (S.N.1-6) conditions are fulfilled then payment of award:
- Rs. 15,000/- if both are boys
- Rs. 17,000/- if one boy & one girl child
- Rs. 19,000/- if both are girls
certificates Required for prerna Scheme
- BPL certificate of the couple
- Date of birth certificate of Mother (Schools/Board/Registrar of birth/death)
- Marriage Certificate of the couple (Registrar of marriages/appropriate govt. officer/delegated authorities)
- Birth Cert. of 1st child (Registrar / appropriate govt. officer registering births/death)
- Birth Cert. of 2nd child, if any. (Registrar / appropriate govt. officer registering births/death)
- Sterilization Certificate (NSV/LTT), if any, ( Govt. Hospital)
- Character Cert. (Gram Panchayat)
- The selection process should involve the community at all stages
- While identifying the eligible couples, there is a need to examine the reason for the girl’s marriage at 19 years.
- If the reason supports the girl’s health, education or skill learning then the selection is worthwhile
- The upper age limit for eligible married women should be below 30 years. There is no age limit for the husband but younger is better.
- Care needs to be taken while selecting an eligible couple. The girl’s marriage should be 19 years (not 18) and the first child should be born when the mother’s age is more than 21 years. Likewise the second child should be born after a 3 years gap and there should be documentary evidence of sterilization after the second child.
- Marriage and Birth registration is compulsory
- the eligible couples should not have any criminal record which points to unsuitability.
- Payments are made in the form of a National Saving Certificate to be issued by the local post office and given by the Collector personally along with wide press coverage and messages about the health of the mother and health of the child.
- The amount of award will be transferred in the dedicated bank account “JSK-PRERNA” opened in respective State Health Society, through cheque/electronic.
- Payment to Post Office would be through account payee cheque for purchasing National Saving Certificates (NSCs).
- A verification certificate may be issued by the district collector office