Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) – Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA)
Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA)
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) is the national flagship programme launched in 2001-02 .
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) is Government of India’s flagship programme for achievement of Universalization of Elementary Education (UEE) in a time bound manner, as mandated by 86th amendment to the Constitution of India making free and compulsory Education to the Children of 6-14 years age group, a Fundamental Right.
- SSA is being implemented in partnership with State Governments to cover the entire country and address the needs of 192 million children in 1.1 million habitations.
- The programme seeks to open new schools in those habitations which do not have schooling facilities and strengthen existing school infrastructure through provision of additional class rooms, toilets, drinking water, maintenance grant and school improvement grants.
- Existing schools with inadequate teacher strength are provided with additional teachers, while the capacity of existing teachers is being strengthened by extensive training, grants for developing teaching-learning materials and strengthening of the academic support structure at a cluster, block and district level.
- SSA seeks to provide quality elementary education including life skills.
- SSA has a special focus on girl’s education and children with special needs.
- SSA also seeks to provide computer education to bridge the digital divide.
Modi Government Achievements April 2016 – List of All Works
What are the goals of SSA? What is overall progress?
The objectives of SSA programme are: •
- All 6-14 age children in school/EGS (Education Guarantee scheme) Centre/bridge course by 2005.
- Bridge all gender and social category gaps at primary stage .
- Focus on elementary education of satisfactory quality with emphasis on education for life.
- Open new schools in areas which do not have them and to expand existing school infrastructures and maintenance.
- Address inadequate teacher numbers, and provide training a development for existing teachers
- Provide quality elementary education including life skills with a special focus on the education of girls and children with special needs as well as computer education