SWARNJAYANTI GRAM SWAROZGAR YOJANA (SGSY)
- This programme was launched in April, 1999.
- This is a holistic programme covering all aspects of self employment such as organisation of the poor into self help groups, training, credit, technology, infrastructure and marketing.
- The objective of SGSY is to provide sustainable income to the rural poor.
- The programme aims at establishing a large number of micro-enterprises in the rural areas, based upon the potential of the rural poor.
- It is envisaged that every family assisted under SGSY will be brought above the poverty-line with in a period of three years.
- This programme covers families below poverty line in rural areas of the country.
- Within this target group, special safeguards have been provided by reserving 50% of benefits for SCs/STs, 40% for women and 3% for physically handicapped persons.
- Subject to the availability of the funds, it is proposed to cover 30% of the rural poor in each block in the next 5 years.
- SGSY is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme and funding is shared by the Central and State Governments in the ratio of 75:25 respectively.
- SGSY is a Credit-cum-Subsidy programme.
- It covers all aspects of self-employment, such as organisation of the poor into self-help groups, training, credit technology, infrastructure and marketing.
- Efforts would be made to involve women members in each self-help group.
- SGSY lays emphasis on activity clusters.
- Four-five activities will be identified for each block with the approval of Panchayat Samities.
- The Gram sabha will authenticate the list of families below the poverty line identified in BPL census.
- Identification of individual families suitable for each key activity will be made through a participatory process.
- Closer attention will be paid on skill development of the beneficiaries, known as swarozgaris, and their technology and marketing needs.
How to Seek Assistance:
- For assistance under the programme, District Rural Development Agencies and Block Development Officers may be contacted.