Temple Architecture South India Pdf Download -Culture Notes
Temple Architecture South India Pdf Download –Culture Notes – To Download This File Click On the Download link Given below
- Dravidian architecture was an architectural idiom that emerged in the Southern part of the Indian subcontinent or South India.
- It consists primarily of temples with pyramid shaped towers and are constructed of sandstone, soapstone or granite.
- Mentioned as one of three styles of temple building in the ancient book Vastu shastra, the majority of the existing structures are located in the Southern Indian states of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Telangana.
- Various kingdoms and empires such as the Cholas, the Chera, the Kakatiyas, the Pandyas, the Pallavas, the Gangas, the Rashtrakutas, the Chalukyas, the Hoysalas, and Vijayanagara Empire among others have made substantial contribution to the evolution of Dravidian architecture.
- This styled architecture can also be found in parts of North India (Teli ka Mandir Gwalior, Bhitargaon Baitala Deula, Bhubaneshwar), Northeastern and central Sri Lanka.