Union Government constitutes Shyam Benegal Committee to revamp Censor Board of Film Censors
Union Government constitutes Shyam Benegal Committee to revamp Censor Board of Film Censors – The Union Ministry of Information & Broadcasting has constituted a committee headed by noted film-maker Shyam Benegal to look into revamp the film certification nuances by Censor Board of Film Censors (CBFC).
The committee is tasked to suggest recommendations provide a holistic framework and interpretation of provisions of Cinematograph Act, 1952 and Cinematograph (Certification) Rules, 1983.
Other Members of the Committee:
- Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- Bhawana Somaaya
- Piyush Pandey
- Nina Lath Gupta and Joint Secretary (Films) as Member Convenor.
Terms of reference of the Committee
- The committee is expected to take note of the best practices in various parts of the world.
- Recommend broad guidelines under the provisions of the Cinematograph Act, 1952 for the benefit of the chairperson and other members of the Screening Committee of CBFC.
- Take into consideration that film industry is given sufficient and adequate space for creative and aesthetic expression.
- Look into the staffing pattern of CBFC in an effort to recommend a framework which would provide efficient and transparent user friendly services.
- The Committee has been requested to submit its recommendations within two months.
- Its recommendations would enable those tasked with the work of certification of films to discharge their responsibilities keeping in view the prescribed framework.