Van Dhan Scheme India – Details ,Funded By,Features, Hindi & English
Van Dhan Scheme India – Details ,Funded By,Features, Hindi & English – The scheme was launched by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs to improve the status of the Tribals.
The Van Dhan Scheme is an initiative of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and TRIFED. It was launched on 14th April, 2018 and seeks to improve tribal incomes through value addition of tribal products.
- Union Level – The scheme will be implemented through Ministry of Tribal Affairs as Nodal Department at the Central Level and TRIFED as Nodal Agency at the National Level.
- At State level, the State Nodal Agency for MFPs and the District collectors are envisaged to play a pivot role in scheme implementation at grassroot level.
- Locally the Kendras are proposed to be managed by a Managing Committee (an SHG) consisting of representatives of Van Dhan SHGs in the cluster.
What are the major provisions of the scheme?
- Van Dhan Mission is an initiative for targeting livelihood generation for tribal by harnessing non-timber forest
- Minor Forest Produce (MFP) is a major source of livelihood for tribal living in forest areas.
- The importance of MFPs for this section of the society can be gauged from the fact that around 100 million
forest dwellers depend on MFPs for food, shelter, medicines and cash income.
- Tribal people derive 20-40% of their annual income from MFP on which they spend major portion of their
- At unit level, aggregation of produce would be done by SHGs having about 30 members each forming Van
Dhan Vikas ‗Samuh‘.
- Under the scheme, 10 Self Help Groups of 30 Tribal gatherers are being trained and provided with working
capital to add value to the products, which they collect from the Jungle.
- The establishment of “Van Dhan Vikas Kendra” is for providing skill upgradation and capacity building
training and setting up of primary processing and value addition facility.
- The Van Dhan Vikas Kendras will be important milestone in economic development of tribals involved in
collection of MFPs by helping them in optimum utilization of natural resources and provide sustainable MFPbased livelihood in MFP-rich districts.
- It also aims at build upon the traditional knowledge & skill sets of tribal by adding technology & IT for value
- It also focussed on setting-up of tribal community owned Van Dhan Vikas Kendras in predominantly forested